Monday 22 July 2013

July Quote Challenge


July Quotation week 
Hello, how are you all enjoying this summer heatwave? Just as I was getting used to it, today is cloudy and a little cooler but it means that I can get jobs done indoors!

This week my quotation comes from Voltaire. 
He was born in Paris and named François-Marie Arouet, the youngest of the five children, from a noble family of the province of Poitou
By the time he left school, Voltaire had decided he wanted to be a writer, against the wishes of his father, who wanted him to become a lawyer. Voltaire, pretending to work in Paris as an assistant to a notary, spent much of his time writing poetry. When his father found out, he sent Voltaire to study law, this time in Caen, Normandy. Nevertheless, he continued to write, producing essays and historical studies. Voltaire's wit made him popular among some of the aristocratic families with whom he mixed. His father then obtained a job for him as a secretary to the French ambassador in the Netherlands, where Voltaire fell in love with a French Protestant refugee named Catherine Olympe Dunoyer. Their scandalous elopement was foiled by Voltaire's father and he was forced to return to France Most of Voltaire's early life revolved around Paris. From early on, Voltaire had trouble with the authorities for even mild critiques of the government and religious intolerance. These activities were to result in numerous imprisonments and exiles. One satirical verse about the Régent led to his imprisonment in the Bastille for eleven months. While there, he wrote his debut play, Œdipe. Its success established his reputation.

Here is this week’s quote

“Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” ~ Voltaire  -  French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

So this week what do you appreciate?...The weather? Your family? Friends? Collegues?  Let’s see lots of photos this week!

I will leave you with another Voltaire quote which will make you laugh....
Have a good week everyone and hope you can manage to blog
Love Lynne xx



12 comments:

  1. Great Topic, Lynne and I love Voltaire. He wrote so many great and interesting things.
    I added your link and made your text bigger, I couldn't read lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, Kate my 16 year old says that about Mums.. why do they always know where things are! Thanks for the prompt Lynne.. see you later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate you guys keeping going when I have been shocking at posting for Lucky Snapping. Work committments as well as my 'other' blog, I do plan to catch up eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for thinking about blogging when you lead such a busy lifexx

      Delete
  4. Great quote. I must admit this weekend his other quote does not ring true in this household as I couldn't find more than one thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got so much going on at the moment I think my brain has taken a holiday

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynne!
    I have a little problem with the translation.
    /I'm banging my head for two days longer. I hope only - after these strike at my head -
    I could speak French? Like that lady who fell from his horse...
    But maybe this job isn't performed without a horse... Just kidding .. /
    Appreciation - this is a difficult word. It's not about money, right?
    I know that your posts will help me understand the topic.
    Come on ladies -
    sit front of the computer and write!
    Just do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borqna sorry you cannot translate this word. Not an easy word

      Appreciate means - to be grateful for: understand: recognise : value in worth (not monetary)

      Appreciation -Judgement: recognisation..of quality, value, significance, the act of enjoyment grateful recognition

      example, appreciate the weather at the moment,appreciate the care people give you or others. Does your son or husband appreciate what you do?

      Lynne xx

      Delete
    2. Good question, dear Lynne!
      Many thanks for your guidance notes and explanations. I really needed them.
      The quote that you chose is very nice. I'm pleased with this because I read extra about Voltaire.

      Delete